|a-da'-ya (the witness of the Lord, adorned
Easton's Bible Dictionary
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
the witness of the Lord
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(adorned by Jehovah)
(1) Maternal grandfather of King Josiah, and native of Boscath in the lowlands
of Judah. ( 2 Kings 22:1 ) (B.C. 648.)
(2) A Levite of the Gershonite branch, and ancestor of Asaph. ( 1 Chronicles 6:41
) In verse ( 1 Chronicles 6:21 ) Hebrew Isa called IDDO.
(3) A Benjamite, son of Shimhi, ( 1 Chronicles 8:21 ) who is apparently the same
as Shema in v. ( 1 Chronicles 8:13 )
(4) A priest, son of Jehoram. ( 1 Chronicles 9:12 ; Nehemiah 11:12 )
(5) Ancestor of Maaseiah, one of the captains who supported Jehoiada. ( 2 Chronicles
(6) One of the descendants of Bani, who had married a foreign wife after the return
from Babylon. ( Ezra 10:29 ) (B.C. 459).
(7) The descendant of another Bani, who had also taken a foreign wife. ( Ezra
(8) A man of Judah, of the line of Pharez. ( Nehemiah 11:5 )
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
a-da'-ya, a-di'-a ('adhayah, "Yahweh hath adorned"):
(1) Apparently the seventh of the nine sons of Shimei, who is apparently the same
with Shema, who is the fifth of the sons of Elpaal, who is the second of the two
sons of Shaharaim and Hushim (1 Chronicles 8:21). Shaharaim and his descendants
are listed with the descendants of Benjamin, though his relations to Benjamin
are not stated.
(2) A Levite; ancestor to David's singer Asaph, and a descendant of the fifth
generation from Gershom (1 Chronicles 6:41).
(3) The father of Maaseiah, who was one of the captains of hundreds associated
with Jehoiada the priest in making Joash king (2 Chronicles 23:1).
(4) A resident of Bozkath, and father of Jedidah the mother of King Josiah (2
(5) A descendant of Judah through Perez. His great-great-grandson Maaseiah resided
in Jerusalem after Nehemiah had rehabilitated the city (Nehemiah 11:5).
(6) One of the men of Israel, not a priest or Levite, but "of the sons of Bani,"
who promised Ezra that he would part with his foreign wife (Ezra 10:29).
(7) The same man or another, in a different group of the sons of Bani (Ezra 10:39).
(8) One of the priests of the latest Bible times, mentioned with a partial genealogy
(Nehemiah 11:12 ; 1 Chronicles 9:12).
Willis J. Beecher
adaiah, bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define