Easton's Bible Dictionary
whom Jehovah helps.
(1) Son of Ethan, of the tribe of Judah ( 1 Chronicles 2:8 ).
(2) Son of Ahimaaz, who succeeded his grandfather Zadok as high priest ( 1 Chronicles
6:9 ; 1 Kings 4:2 ) in the days of Solomon. He officiated at the consecration
of the temple ( 1 Chronicles 6:10 ).
(3) The son of Johanan, high priest in the reign of Abijah and Asa ( 2 Chronicles
6:10 , 6:11 ).
(4) High priest in the reign of Uzziah, king of Judah ( 2 Kings 14:21 ; 2 Chronicles
26:17 - 20 ). He was contemporary with the prophets Isaiah, Amos, and Joel.
(5) High priest in the days of Hezekiah ( 2 Chronicles 31:10 - 13 ). Of the house
(6) Several other priests and Levites of this name are mentioned ( 1 Chronicles
6:36 ; Ezra 7:1 ; 1 Chronicles 9:11 ; Nehemiah 3:23 , etc.).
(7) The original name of Abed-nego ( Daniel 1:6 , 1:7 , 1:11 , 1:16 ). He was
of the royal family of Judah, and with his other two companions remarkable for
his personal beauty and his intelligence as well as piety.
(8) The son of Oded, a remarkable prophet in the days of Asa ( 2 Chronicles 15:1
). He stirred up the king and the people to a great national reformation.
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
he that hears the Lord
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(whom the Lord helps)
A common name in Hebrew, and especially in the families of the priests of the
line of Eleazar, whose name has precisely the same meaning as Azariah. It is nearly
identical, and is often confounded, with Ezra as well as with Zerahiah and Seraiah.
The principal persons who bore this name were--
|(1) Son of Ahimaaz. ( 1 Chronicles 6:9 ) He appears from
( 1 Kings 4:2 ) to have succeeded Zadok, his grandfather, in the high priesthood,
in the reign of Solomon, Ahimaaz having died before Zadok. (B.C. About 1000.)
(2) A chief officer of Solomons, the son of Nathan, perhaps Davids grandson. (
1 Kings 4:5 ) Tenth king of Judah, more frequently called Uzziah. ( 2 Kings 14:21
; 15:1 , 15:6 , 15:8 , 15:17 , 15:23 , 15:27 ; 1 Chronicles 8:12 )
(3) Son of Ethan, of the sons of Zerah, where, perhaps, Zerahiah is the more probable
reading. ( 1 Chronicles 2:8 )
(4) Son of Jehu of the family of the Jerahmeelites, and descended from Jarha the
Egyptian slave of Sheshan. ( 1 Chronicles 2:38 , 2:39 ) He was probably one of
the captains of hundreds in the time of Athaliah mentioned in ( 2 Chronicles 23:1
) (B.C. 886.)
(5) The son of Johanan. ( 1 Chronicles 6:10 ) He must have been high priest in
the reign of Abijah and Asa. (B.C. 939.)
(6) Another Azariah is inserted between Hilkiah, in Josiahs reign, and Seraiah
who was put to death by Nebuchadnezzar, in ( 1 Chronicles 6:13 , 6:14 )
(7) Son of Zephaniah, a Kohathite, and ancestor of Samuel the prophet. ( 1 Chronicles
6:36 ) Apparently the same as Uzziah in ver. 24.
(8) Azariah; the son of Oded, ( 2 Chronicles 15:1 ) called simply Oded in ver.
8, was a remarkable prophet in the days of King Asa, and a contemporary of Azariah
the son of Johanan the high priest, and of Hanani the seer. (B.C. 939.)
(9) Son of Jehoshaphat king of Judah. ( 2 Chronicles 21:2 ) (B.C.910.)
(10) Another son of Jehoshaphat, and brother of the preceding. ( 2 Chronicles
21:2 ) In ( 2 Chronicles 22:6 ) Azariah is a clerical error for Ahaziah.
(11) Son of Jeroham, one of the captains of Judah in the time of Athaliah. ( 2
Chronicles 23:1 )
(12) The high priest in the reign of Uzziah king of Judah. The most memorable
event of his life is that which is recorded in ( 2 Chronicles 26:17 - 20 ) (B.C.
810.) Azariah was contemporary with Isaiah the prophet and with Amos and Joel.
(13) Son of Johanan, one of the captains of Ephraim in the reign of Ahaz. ( 2
Chronicles 28:12 )
(14) A Kohathite, father of Joel, in the reign of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:12
) (B.C. 726.)
(15) A Merarite, son of Jehalelel, in the time of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:12
(16) The high priest in the days of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 31:10 , 31:13 ) He
appears to have co operated zealously with the king in that thorough purification
of the temple and restoration of the temple service, which was so conspicuous
a feature in his reign. He succeeded Urijah, who was high priest in the reign
(17) Son of Maaseiah who repaired part of the wall of Jerusalem in the time of
Nehemiah. ( Nehemiah 3:23 , 3:24 ) (B.C. 446-410.)
(18) One of the leaders of the children of the province who went up from Babylon
with Zerubbabel. ( Nehemiah 7:7 )
(19) One of the Levites who assisted Ezra in instructing the people in the knowledge
of the law. ( Nehemiah 8:7 )
(20) One of the priests who sealed the covenant with Nehemiah ( Nehemiah 10:2
) and probably the same with the Azariah who assisted in the dedication of the
city wall. ( Nehemiah 12:33 ) ( Jeremiah 13:2 ) (Jezaniah).
(21) The original name of Abednego. ( Daniel 1:6 , 1:7 , 1:11 , 1:19 ) He appears
to have been of the seed-royal of Judah. (B.C. 603.)
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
az-a-ri'-a, 'azaryahu and 'azaryah, ("Yahweh has helped"):
(1) King of Judah.
(2) A Judahite of the house of Ethan the Wise (1 Chronicles 2:8).
(3) The son of Jehu, descended from an Egyptian through the daughter of Sheshan
(1 Chronicles 2:38).
(4) A son of Ahimaaz and grandson of Zadok (1 Chronicles
(5) A son of Zadok the high priest and an official of Solomon (1 Kings 4:2).
(6) A high priest and son of Johanan (1 Chronicles 6:10).
(7) A Levite, ancestor of Samuel, and Heman the singer (1 Chronicles 6:36).
(8) A son of Nathan and captain of Solomon's tax collectors (1 Kings 4:5).
(9) A prophet in the reign of King Asa; his father's name was Oded (2 Chronicles
15:1 - 8).
(10 and 11) Two sons of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah (2 Chronicles 21:2).
(12) King of Judah (2 Chronicles 22:6 , called Ahaziah in 2 Chronicles 22:1).
(13) A son of Jeroham, who helped to overthrow Athaliah, and place Joash on the
throne (2 Chronicles 23:1).
(14) A son of Johanan and a leading man of Ephraim, mentioned in connection with
the emancipated captives taken by Pekah (2 Chronicles 28:12).
(15) A Levite of the family of Merari, who took part in cleansing the temple in
the days of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:12).
(16) A high priest who rebuked King Uzziah for arrogating to himself priestly
functions (2 Chronicles 26:16 - 20).
(17) The father of Seraiah and son of Hilkiah (1 Chronicles 6:13f).
(18) A son of Hoshaiah, and a bitter enemy of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 43:2 ff).
(19) One of the royal captives taken to Babylon, whose name was changed to Abed-nego
(20) The son of Maaseiah, who helped repair the walls of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 3:23
(21) A Levite who assisted Ezra to expound the Law (Nehemiah 8:7).
(22) A priest who sealed the covenant (Nehemiah 10:2).
(23) A prince of Judah mentioned in connection with the dedication of the walls
of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 12:32 f).
W. W. Davies
abed-nego, azariah, bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, high priest, king of judah, levite, son of johanan, uzziah, zadok