Easton's Bible Dictionary
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
Smith's Bible Dictionary
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
az-a-ri'as, Azarias and Azareias:
(1) Azarias, who put away his "strange wife" (1 Esdras 9:21); compare Uzziah (Ezra
(2) Azarias, who stood at the right side of Ezra when the law was read to the
people (1 Esdras 9:43); omitted in Ezra 8:4.
(3) Azarias, who interpreted the law to the people (1 Esdras 9:48); compare Azariah
(4) Azarias, a name assumed by the angel Raphael (Tobit 5:12 ; 6:6 ,13 ; 7:8 ;
9:2). See RAPHAEL.
(5) Azarias, a general in the service of Judas Maccabee (1 Macc 5:18 , 56 , 60).
(6) Azarias, one of the three men thrown into the fiery furnace (The So of the
Three Children (Azariah) verses 2,66); compare Azariah (Daniel 1:6 ; 2:17), Abed-nego
(Daniel 1:7 ; 2:49 ; 3:12 ff).
A. L. Breslich
azareias, azarias, bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define