|az-ma'-veth (strong death; a he-goat, strong
RELATED: Benjamin, David
Easton's Bible Dictionary
strong as death.
(1) One of David's thirty warriors ( 2 Samuel 23:31 ).
(2) An overseer over the royal treasury in the time of David and Solomon ( 1 Chronicles
(3) A town in the tribe of Judah, near Jerusalem ( Nehemiah 12:29 ; Ezra
(4) 1 Chronicles 8:36
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
strong death; a he-goat
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(strong unto death)
(1) One of Davids mighty men, a native of Bahurim, ( 2 Samuel 23:31 ; 1 Chronicles
11:33 ) and therefore probably a Benjamite. (B.C. 1060).
(2) A descendant of Mephibosheth, or Merib-baal. ( 1 Chronicles 8:36 ; 9:42 )
(3) The father of Jeziel and Pelet, two of the skilled Benjamite slingers and
archers who joined David at Ziklag ( 1 Chronicles 10:3 ) perhaps identical with
(4) Overseer of the royal treasures in the reign of David. ( 1 Chronicles 27:25
(5) a place to all appearance in Benjamin, being named with other towns
belonging to that tribe. ( Ezra 2:24 ) The name elsewhere occurs as BETH-AZMAVETH.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) One of David's 30 mighty men (2 Samuel 23:31 ; 1 Chronicles 11:33).
(2) A descendant of Jonathan, the son of Saul (1 Chronicles 8:36 ; 9:42).
(3) Father of two warriors who joined David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:3).
(4) The name of one set over David's treasures (1 Chronicles 27:25). Some identify
him with (1) and (3).
(5) Is probably identical with el-Chizma, a village a little to the North of 'Anata
(Anathoth). It corresponds to Beth-azmaveth (Nehemiah 7:28).
azmaveth, bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, el-chizma, warrior