Easton's Bible Dictionary
freed by Jehovah.
(1) The head of the twenty-third division of the priestly order ( 1
Chronicles 24:18 ).
(2) A son of Shemaiah, and one of the courtiers to whom Jeremiah's first roll
of prophecy was read ( Jeremiah
(3) The head of one of the bands of exiles that returned under Zerubbabel to Jerusalem
2:60 ; Nehemiah
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
the poor of the Lord
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(freed by Jehovah)
(1) A descendant of the royal family of Judah. ( 1 Chronicles 3:24 )
(2) A priest in the time of David, leader of the twenty-third course of priests.
( 1 Chronicles 24:18 ) (B.C. 1014.)
(3) "Children of Delaiah" were among the people of uncertain pedigree who returned
from Babylon with Zerubbabel. ( Ezra 2:60 ; Nehemiah 7:62 ) (B.C. 536.)
(4) Son of Mehetabeel and father of Shemaiah. ( Nehemiah 6:10 ) (B.C. before 410.)
(5) Son of Shemaiah, one of the "princes" about the court of Jehoiakim. ( Jeremiah
36:12 , 36:25 ) (B.C. 604.)
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
de-la'-ya (delayah, "God has raised"):
(1) A descendant of David (1 Chronicles 3:24; the King James Version "Dalaiah").
(2) One of David's priests and leader of the 23rd course (1 Chronicles 24:18).
(3) One of the princes who pleaded with Jehoiakim not to destroy the roll containing
the prophecies of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 36:12 , 25).
(4) The ancestor of a post-exilic family whose genealogy was lost (Ezra 2:60 ;
Nehemiah 7:62 ; 1 Esdras 5:37 margin). See DALAN.
(5) The father of timorous Shemaiah (Nehemiah 6:10).
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, dala-iah, dalaiah, define, delaiah, priest