Easton's Bible Dictionary
(1) 1 Kings 4:31 ; 1 Chronicles 2:6 , a son of Zerah, noted for his wisdom.
(2) Grandson of Samuel ( 1 Chronicles 6:33 ; 15:17 ), to whom the 88th Psalm probably
was inscribed. He was one of the "seers" named in 2 Chronicles 29:14 , 29:30 ,
and took a leading part in the administration of the sacred services.
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
their trouble; tumult; much; in great number
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(1) Son of Zerah. ( 1 Chronicles 2:6 ; 1 Kings 4:31 )
(2) Son of Joel and grandson of Samuel the prophet, a Kohathite. He is called
"the singer," rather the musician, ( 1 Chronicles 6:33 ) and was the first of
the three Levites to whom was committed the vocal and instrumental music of the
temple service in the reign of David. ( 1 Chronicles 15:16 - 22 ) The 88th Psalm
is ascribed to him. (B.C. 1014.)
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
he'-man (heman, "faithful"):
The name of two men in the Old Testament.
(1) A musician and seer, a Levite, son of Joel and grandson of the prophet Samuel;
of the family of the Kohathites (1 Chronicles 6:33), appointed by David as one
of the leaders of the temple-singing (1 Chronicles 15:17 ; 2 Chronicles 5:12).
He had 14 sons (and 3 daughters) who assisted their father in the chorus. Heman
seems also to have been a man of spiritual power; is called "the king's seer in
matters of God" (1 Chronicles 25:5 ; 2 Chronicles 35:15).
(2) One of the noted wise men prior to, or about, the time of Solomon. He was
one of the three sons of Mahol (1 Kings 4:31)); also called a son of Zerah (1
Psalms 88 is inscribed to Heman the Ezrahite, who is probably to be identified
with the second son of Zerah.
Edward Babgy Pollard
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, grandson of samuel, heman, levite, psalm 88, singer