|je-sha'-ya (salvation of Jehovah, deliverance of Jehovah)
RELATED: Athaliah, Ithiel
Easton's Bible Dictionary
deliverance of Jehovah.
(1) A Kohathite Levite, the father of Joram, of the family of Eliezer ( 1 Chronicles
26:25 ); called also Isshiah ( 1 Chronicles 24:21 ).
(2) One of the sons of Jeduthum ( 1 Chronicles 25:3 , 25:15 ).
(3) One of the three sons of Hananiah ( 1 Chronicles 3:21 ).
(4) Son of Athaliah ( Ezra 8:7 ).
(5) A Levite of the family of Merari ( Ezra 8:19 ).
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(salvation of Jehovah).
(1) One of the six sons of Jeduthun. ( 1 Chronicles 25:3 , 25:15 ) (B.C. 1014.)
(2) A Levite in the reign of David, eldest son of Rehabiah, a descendant of Amram
through Moses. ( 1 Chronicles 26:25 ) [ISSHIAH] (B.C. before 1014.)
(3) The son of Athaliah, and chief of the house of Bene-Elam who returned with
Ezra. ( Ezra 8:7 ) [JOSIAS] (B.C. 459.)
(4) A Merarite who returned with Ezra. ( Ezra 8:19 )
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(a) yesha'yahu; (b) yesha'yah, "deliverance of Yah"; (2) (3) below have form (a),
the others form (b):
(1) Son of Hananiah, and grandson of Zerubbabel, according to 1 Chronicles 3:21,
the King James Version "Jesaiah."
But commentators follow Hebrew (and the Revised Version margin) in the first part
of the verse, and Septuagint, Vulgate, Syriac in the second part, thus reading,
"And the son of Hananiah (was) Pelatiah, and Jeshaiah (was) his son, and Arnan
his son," etc., thus making Jeshaiah a grandson of Hananiah.
(2) A "son" of Jeduthun, and like him a temple musician; head of the family
of that name (1 Chronicles 25:3,15).
(3) A Levite, ancestor of Shelemoth, one of David's treasurers (1 Chronicles 26:25).
(4) A descendant of Elam; he went with Ezra from Babylon to Jerusalem (Ezra 8:7)
= "Jesias" (Revised Version), "Josias" (the King James Version), 1 Esdras 8:33.
(5) A descendant of Merari and a contemporary of Ezra (Ezra 8:19) = "Osaias" of
1 Esdras 8:48.
(6) A Benjamite (Nehemiah 11:7), the King James Version "Jesaiah."
David Francis Roberts
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible
study, define, jesaiah, jeshaiah, yesha'yah, yesha'yahu