Easton's Bible Dictionary
Jehovah is his God.
(1) The second of the twelve minor prophets. He was the son of Pethuel. His personal
history is only known from his book.
(2) The oldest of Samuel's two sons appointed by him as judges in Beersheba (
Samuel 8:2 ). (See VASHNI (n/a).)
(3) A descendant of Reuben ( 1
Chronicles 5:4 , 5:8
(4) One of David's famous warriors ( 1
Chronicles 11:38 ).
(5) A Levite of the family of Gershom ( 1
Chronicles 15:7 , 15:11
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
he that wills or commands
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(to whom Jehovah is God ).
(1) The second of the twelve minor prophets, the son of Pethuel, probably prophesied
in Judah in the reign of Uzziah, about B.C. 800. The book of Joel contains a grand
outline of the whole terrible scene, which was to be depicted more and more in
detail by subsequent prophets. The proximate event to which the prophecy related
was a public calamity, then impending on Judah, of a two-plague of locusts --and
continuing for several years. The prophet exhorts the people to turn to God with
penitence, fasting and prayer; and then, he says, the plague shall cease, and
the rain descendent in its season, and the land yield her accustomed fruit. Nay,
the time will be a most joyful one; for God, by the outpouring of his Spirit,
will extend the blessings of true religion to heathen lands. The prophecy is referred
to in Acts 2.
(2) Eldest son of Samuel the prophet, ( 1 Samuel 8:2 ; 1 Chronicles 6:33 ; 15:17
) and father of Heman the singer. (B.C. 1094.)
(3) In ( 1 Chronicles 6:36 ) Authorized Version, Joel seems to be merely a corruption
of Shaul in ver. 24.
(4) A Simeonite chief. ( 1 Chronicles 4:35 )
(5) A descendant of Reuben. Junius and Tremellius make him the son of Hanoeh,
while others trace his descent through Carmi. ( 1 Chronicles 5:4 ) (B.C. before
(6) Chief of the Gadites, who dwelt in the land of Bashan. ( 1 Chronicles 5:12
) (B.C. 782.)
(7) The son of Izrahiah, of the tribe of Issachar. ( 1 Chronicles 7:3 )
(8) The brother of Nathan of Zobah, ( 1 Chronicles 11:38 ) and one of Davids guard.
(9) The chief of the Gershomites in the reign of David. ( 1 Chronicles 15:7 ,
(10) A Gershonite Levite in the reign of David, son of Jehiel, a descendant of
Laadan, and probably the same as the preceding. ( 1 Chronicles 23:8 ; 26:22 )
(11) The son of Pedaiah, and a chief of the half-tribe of Manasseh west of Jordan,
in the reign of David. ( 1 Chronicles 27:20 ) (B.C. 1014.)
(12) A Kohathite Levite in the reign of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:12 ) (B.C.
(13) One of the sons of Nebo, who returned with Ezra, and had married a foreign
wife. ( Ezra 10:43 ) (B.C. 459.)
(14) The son of Zichri, a Benjamite. ( Nehemiah 11:9 )
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
jo'-el (yo'el, popularly interpreted as "Yahweh is God"; but see HPN, 153; BDB,
(1) The firstborn of Samuel (1 Samuel 8:2 ; 1 Chronicles 6:33), and supplied in
the Revised Version (British and American) of 1 Chronicles 6:28, correctly).
(2) A Simeonite prince (1 Chronicles 4:35). (3) A Reubenite chief (1 Chronicles
5:4 , 8).
(3) A Reubenite chief (1 Chronicles 5:4 , 8).
(4) A Gadite chief, perhaps the same as (3) (1 Chronicles 5:12). He might be the
chief of "a family or clan whose members might be reckoned as belonging to either
or both of the tribes" (Curtis, Chronicles, 122).
(5) A Levite ancestor of Samuel (1 Chronicles 6:36), called "Shaul" in 6:24 (Hebrew
(6) A chief of Issachar (1 Chronicles 7:3).
(7) One of David's mighty men (1 Chronicles 11:38), brother of Nathan. 2 Samuel
23:36 has "Igal son of Nathan," and the Septuagint's Codex Vaticanus has "son"
in 1 Chronicles, a reading which Curtis adopts. See IGAL.
(8) A Levite (1 Chronicles 15:7 , 11 , 17), probably the Joe of 1 Chronicles 23:8
(9) David's tribal chief over half of Manasseh (1 Chronicles 27:20).
(10) A Levite of Hezekiah's time (2 Chronicles 29:12).
(11) One of those who had married foreign wives (Ezra 10:43) = "Juel" of 1 Esdras
(12) A Benjamite "overseer" in Jerusalem (Nehemiah 11:9).
(13) Ioel, the prophet (Joel 1:1 ; Acts 2:16). SEE JOEL,
THE BOOK OF
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, joel, prophet