|ke'-naz (this purchase; this lamentation, hunter, hunting)
RELATED: Caleb, Edom, Eliphaz
Easton's Bible Dictionary
(1) One of the sons of Eliphaz, the son of Esau. He became the chief of an Edomitish
tribe ( Genesis
36:11 , 36:15
(2) Caleb's younger brother, and father of Othniel ( Joshua
15:17 ), whose family was of importance in Israel down to the time of David
Chronicles 27:15 ). Some think that Othniel ( Judges
1:13 ), and not Kenaz, was Caleb's brother.
(3) Caleb's grandson ( 1
Chronicles 4:15 ).
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
this purchase; this lamentation
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(1) Son of Eliphaz the son of Esau. He was one of the dukes of Edom. ( Genesis
36:15 , 36:42
Chronicles 1:53 )
(2) One of the same family, a grandson of Caleb, according to ( 1
Chronicles 4:15 ) (where see margin).
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
ke'-naz, ke'-nez (qenaz "hunting"):
(1) A "duke" of Edom, grandson of Esau (Genesis
36:11 , 15
Chronicles 1:36 , 53).
(2) Father of Othniel (Joshua
15:17 ; Judges
1:13 ; 3:9
(3) The unidentified qenaz of 1
Chronicles 4:15, who appears to be a descendant of (2). There is, however,
some difficulty with the passage here.
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, caleb grandson, define, kenaz, kenez, qenaz, son of eliphaz