|ma'-a-ka (pressed down; worn; fastened, oppression)
RELATED: Absalom, David, Hanan
Easton's Bible Dictionary
(1) A small Syrian kingdom near Geshur, east of the Hauran, the district of Batanea
( Joshua 13:13 ; 2
Samuel 10:6 , 8
Chronicles 19:7 ).
(2) A daughter of Talmai, king of the old native population of Geshur. She became
one of David's wives, and was the mother of Absalom ( 2
Samuel 3:3 ).
(3) The father of Hanan, who was one of David's body-guard ( 1
Chronicles 11:43 ).
(4) The daughter of Abishalom (called Absalom, 2
Chronicles 11:20 - 22
), the third wife of Rehoboam, and mother of Abijam ( 1
Kings 15:2 ). She is called "Michaiah the daughter of Uriel," who was the
husband of Absalom's daughter Tamar ( 2
Chronicles 13:2 ). Her son Abijah or Abijam was heir to the throne.
(5) The father of Achish, the king of Gath ( 1
Kings 2:39 ), called also Maoch ( 1
Samuel 27:2 ).
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
pressed down; worn; fastened
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(1) The daughter of Nahor by his concubine Beumah. ( Genesis 22:24 )
(2) The father of Achish who was king of Gath at the beginning of Solomons reign.
( 1 Kings 2:39 )
(3) The daughter, or more probably granddaughter, of Absalom named after his mother;
the third and favorite wife of Rehoboam, and mother of Abijah. ( 1 Kings 15:22
; 2 Chronicles 11:20 - 22 ) The mother of Abijah is elsewhere called "Michaiah
the daughter of Uriel of Gibeah." ( 2 Chronicles 13:2 ) During the reign of her
grandson Asa she occupied at the court of Judah the high position of "kings mother,"
comp. ( 1 Kings 15:13 ) but when he came of age she was removed because of her
idolatrous habits. ( 2 Chronicles 15:16 )
(4) The concubine of Caleb the son of Hezron. ( 1 Chronicles 2:48 )
(5) The daughter of Talmai king of Geshur, and mother of Absalom ( 1 Chronicles
3:2 ) also called Maacah in Authorized Version of ( 2 Samuel 3:3 )
(6) The wife of Machir the Manassite. ( 1 Chronicles 7:15 , 7:16 )
(7) The wife of Jehiel, father or founder of Gibeon. ( 1 Chronicles 8:20 ; 9:35
(8) The father of Hanan, one of the heroes of David body-guard. ( 2 Chronicles
(9) A Simeonite, father of Sephatiah, prince of his tribe in the reign of David.
( 1 Chronicles 27:16 )
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) Septuagint: Codex Vaticanus Mocha; Codex Alexandrinus Mocha, daughter of Nahor,
borne to him by Reumah (Genesis 22:24).
(2) Septuagint: Codex Vaticanus Maacha; Codex Alexandrinus Maachath, the one wife
of David who was of royal rank, the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur, who became
the mother of Absalom (2 Samuel 3:3 ; 1 Chronicles 3:2).
(3) Maacha, father of Achish, king of Gath (1 Kings 2:39). He is probably referred
to as "Maoch" in 1 Samuel 27:2.
(4) The daughter of Absalom, the favorite wife of Rehoboam, and mother of Abijah
(1 Kings 15:2 ; 2 Chronicles 11:20 , etc.). Evidently "daughter" must here be
understood as "granddaughter," according to a common oriental usage. Tamar was
the only daughter of Absalom. If Tamar married Uriel of Gibeah (2 Chronicles 13:2),
then Maacah was her daughter. In that case the name Micaiah in this passage would
be either a copyist's error or a variant of Maacah. She must have been a woman
of strong personality. Unfortunately, her influence was cast upon the side of
idolatry. She maintained her position in the palace, however, till the reign of
her grandson Asa. Possibly she acted as regent during his minority. Ultimately,
she was degraded by him for an act of peculiar infamy (1 Kings 15:13 ; 2 Chronicles
(5) Concubine of Caleb, son of Hezron (1 Chronicles 2:48).
(6) Sister of Huppim and Shuppim the Benjamites, who became the wife of Machir
the Manassite, the "father" of Gilead (1 Chronicles 7:12 , 15).
(7) Wife of Jeiel, the "father" of Gibeon, an ancestress of King Saul (1 Chronicles
8:29 ; 9:35).
(8) Father of Hanan, one of David's mighty men (1 Chronicles 11:43).
(9) Father of Shephatiah, ruler of the Simeonites under David (1 Chronicles 27:16).
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, maacha, maachah, mocha