Easton's Bible Dictionary
the work of Jehovah.
(1) One of the Levites whom David appointed as porter for the ark ( 1
Chronicles 15:18 , 15:20
(2) One of the "captains of hundreds" associated with Jehoiada in restoring king
Jehoash to the throne ( 2
Chronicles 23:1 ).
(3) The "king's son," probably one of the sons of king Ahaz, killed by Zichri
in the invasion of Judah by Pekah, king of Israel ( 2
Chronicles 28:7 ).
(4) One who was sent by king Josiah to repair the temple ( 2
Chronicles 34:8 ). He was governor (Hebrew sar, rendered elsewhere in the
Authorized Version "prince," "chief captain," chief ruler") of Jerusalem.
(5) The father of the priest Zephaniah ( Jeremiah
21:1 ; 37:3
(6) The father of the false prophet Zedekiah ( Jeremiah
(7) Maase'iah, refuge is Jehovah, a priest, the father of Neriah ( Jeremiah
32:12 ; 51:59
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
the work of the Lord
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(work of the Lord)
The name of four persons who had married foreign wives. In the time of Ezra,
|(1) A descendant of Jeshua the
priest. ( Ezra 10:18 )
(2) A priest, of the sons of Harim. ( Ezra 10:21 )
(3) A priest, of the sons of Pashur. ( Ezra 10:22 )
(4) One of the laymen, a descendant of Pahath-moab. ( Ezra 10:30 )
(5) The father of Azariah. ( Nehemiah 3:23 )
(6) One of those who stood on the right hand of Ezra when he read the law to the
people. ( Nehemiah 8:4 )
(7) A Levite who assisted on the same occasion. ( Nehemiah 8:7 )
(8) One of the heads of the people whose descendants signed the covenant with
Nehemiah. ( Nehemiah 10:25 )
(9) Son of Baruch the descendant of Pharez the son of Judah, ( Nehemiah 11:5 )
(10) A Benjamite, ancestor of Sallu. ( Nehemiah 11:7 )
(11) Two priests of this name are mentioned, ( Nehemiah 12:41 , 12:42 ) as taking
part in the musical service which accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem
under Ezra. One of them is probably the same as No. 6.
(12) Father of Zephaniah, who was a priest in the reign of Zedekiah. ( Jeremiah
21:1 ; 29:25 ; 37:3 )
(13) Father of Zedekiah the false prophet. ( Jeremiah 29:21 )
(14) One of the Levites of the second rank, appointed by David to sound "with
psaltries on Alamoth." ( 1 Chronicles 15:18 , 15:20 )
(15) The son of Adaiah, and one of the captains of hundreds in the reign of Joash
king of Judah. ( 2 Chronicles 23:1 )
(16) An officer of high rank in the reign of Uzziah. ( 2 Chronicles 26:11 ) He
was probably a Levite, comp: ( 1 Chronicles 23:4 ) and engaged in a semi-military
(17) The "kings son," killed by Zichri the Ephraimitish hero in the invasion of
Judah by Pekah king of Israel, during the reign of Ahaz. ( 2 Chronicles 28:7 )
(18) The governor of Jerusalem in the reign of Josiah. ( 2 Chronicles 34:8 )
(19) The son of Shallum, a Levite of high rank in the reign of Jehoiakim. ( Jeremiah
35:4 ) comp, 1 Chronicles 9:19
(20) A priest; ancestor of Baruch and Seraiah, the sons of Neriah. ( Jeremiah
32:12 ; 51:59 )
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
ma-a-se'-ya, ma-a-si'a (ma'aseyahu, "Yahweh's work";
Maassaia, and Massaias in the Septuagint):
A name common in exilic and late monarchic times (Gray, H P N).
(1) A Levite musician named in connection with David's bringing up of the ark
from the house of Obed-edom (1 Chronicles 15:18 , 20).
(2) A Levite captain who aided Jehoiada at the coronation of Joash (2 Chronicles
(3) An officer of Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26:11).
(4) Ahaz' son, slain by the Ephraimite, Zichri (2 Chronicles 28:7).
(5) A governor of Jerusalem under Josiah (2 Chronicles 34:8).
(6) (7) (8) (9) The name of 4 men, 3 of them priests, who had married foreign
wives (Ezra 10:18 , 21 , 22 , 30).
(10) Father of Azariah, one of the builders of the wall (Nehemiah 3:23).
(11) One of those who stood at Ezra's right hand during the reading of the Law
(12) One of the expounders of the Law (Nehemiah 8:7).
(13) One of those who took part in sealing the covenant (Nehemiah 10:25).
(14) A Judahite inhabitant of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 11:5), who in 1 Chronicles 9:5
is called Asaiah.
(15) A Benjamite (Nehemiah 11:7).
(16) (17) Name of two priests (Nehemiah 12:41).
(18) A priest in Zedekiah's reign, father of a certain Zephaniah who interviewed
the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 21:1 ; 29:25 ; 37:3).
(19) Father of the false prophet Zedekiah (Jeremiah 29:21).
(20) A keeper of the threshold in the reign of Jehoiakim (Jeremiah 35:4).
(21) Baaseiah (which see), a Kohathite name (1 Chronicles 6:40), is probably a
textual error for Maaseiah.
(22) the King James Version for Mahseiah, an ancestor of Baruch (Jeremiah 32:12).
John A. Lees
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, define, ma-aseiah, maaseiah