Easton's Bible Dictionary
(1) A son of Boaz and Ruth ( Ruth
4:21 , 4:22
), and the grandfather of David ( Matthew
1 Chronicles 2:34 - 38
Chronicles 23:1 .
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names
a servant; workman
Smith's Bible Dictionary
(1) Son of Boaz and Ruth the Moabitess and father of Jesse. ( Ruth 4:17 ) (B.C.
1360.) The circumstances of his birth which make up all that we know about him
are given with much beauty in the book of Ruth. The name of Obed occurs only (
Ruth 4:17 ) and in the four genealogies, ( Ruth 4:21 , 4:22 ; 1 Chronicles 2:12
; Matthew 1:5 ; Luke 3:32 )
(2) A descendant of Jarha, the Egyptian slave of Sheshan, in the line of Jerahmeel.
( 1 Chronicles 2:37 , 2:38 ) (B.C. after 1014.)
(3) One of Davids mighty men. ( 1 Chronicles 11:47 ) (B.C. 1046.)
(4) One of the gate-keepers of the temple; son of Shemaiah the first-born of Obed-edom.
( 1 Chronicles 26:7 ) (B.C. 1017.)
(5) Father of Azariah, one of the captains of hundreds who joined with Jehoiada
in the revolution by which Athaliah fell. ( 2 Chronicles 23:1 ) (B.C. before 876.)
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
o'-bed ('obhedh, "worshipper"; in the New Testament Iobed):
(1) Son of Boaz and Ruth and grandfather of David (Ruth 4:17 , 21 , 22 ; 1 Chronicles
2:12 ; Matthew 1:5 ; Luke 3:32).
(2) Son of Ephlal and descendant of Sheshan, the Jerahmeelite, through his daughter
who was married to Jarha, an Egyptian servant of her father's (1 Chronicles 2:37,38).
(3) One of David's mighty men (1 Chronicles 11:47).
(4) A Korahite doorkeeper, son of Shemaiah, and grandson of Obed-edom (1 Chronicles
(5) Father of Azariah, one of the centurions who took part with Jehoiada in deposing
Queen Athaliah and crowning Joash (2 Chronicles 23:1 ; compare 2 Kings 11:1 -
David Francis Roberts
bible commentary, bible history, bible reference, bible study, grandfather of king david, obed, son of ruth and boaz